End of 09 letter

Dear family, friends, and fans of alliteration-
Every year at the end of another wonderful summer spent at camp JLOW the staff compiles (individually and collaboratively) a list of things that brought a smile to our faces during the course of camp that year. It is a way for us to reflect on all the challenges and blessings of camp. This list is called “Happiness is…” and though I could write five or more pages on just the joys of camp life, in preparation for 2010 I would like to reflect and share with you some blessings and fun times that I have experienced in 2009
Happiness is (2009)…
 Turning 21!! (01.01.09)
 Dropping the vegetarian status (meat is neat!)
 Having a patient and loving roommate to share daily ups and downs with
 Collaborative meals
 Gluten-free & vegan baking
 Community Supported Agriculture
 A good dancing buddy for all kinds of “80’s night” adventures
 Long Island Ice Tea
 Sharing the inauguration of Obama with close friends, being inspired to change the world
 Expeditionary learning
 Growing compassion for immigrants and the complexities of the border wall
 Reflecting on my privilege and how that will influence my future teaching endeavors
 Developing ways to be a more inclusive and multi-cultural educator
 Traveling to Nogales
 Intentional language
 Teaching comprehensive sexual education … to my peers
 Fun times with condom distribution efforts
 Easter vigils (something that never touched me as much as it did this year)
 Learning to forgive and attempting to put it to active practice
 Resisting labels and negative comments (even when they are meant jokingly)
 Meeting and getting to spend an ample amount of time with a phenomenal mentor that changed my life
 Deciding that though I may one day teach secondary education, the little kids are where I want to be
 New music- Ray LaMontagne, Hot Honey, Paper Bird, Antje Duvekot, and many more
 Working with adolescents and realizing that they are more honorable, smart, and funny that I have ever given them credit for
 JLOW- my 6th year, being the UC for the outpost and finding my home there
 Becoming the person that people go to when they need help and being patient enough to be successful as that person
 “Precious Moments,” road trips, Grandma, and deep life-long friendships
 The Grand Canyon
 Making “professional” mistakes that furthered my education more than had I not
 Teaching 3rd grade, shape poetry
 New roommates and new friendships
 WEB conference counseling and becoming more empowered in my womanhood
 Creative Halloween costumes
 Daily library napping
 Volunteering for what I believe in
 White Russians and bowling
 Snow day! And reading by candlelight
 Working on my Scrabble skills
 Finding new trails in Prescott
 Learning about the development of Men and Masculinity, patriarchy, and Rape Culture
 Blogging and planning a “Man Fair”
 Being nervous but brave and auditioning anyway
 GETTING THE PART!! (read below)
 White wine with good friends and reasons to celebrate
 Seeing friends complete their undergraduate education, filling with pride and inspiration
 Reflecting on my failures and flaws and coming to constructive conclusions and forgiveness
 Finally seeing the “Full Monty” and loving it (just so I am clear- I am referring to the film)
 Sporadic employment
 Frida dog! And Jack (most of the time)
 The Santa land Diaries and remembering my appreciation for the theatre
 Reading good and mind bending, thought provoking books
 Reliable and loving people who remind me that adulthood is possible
As for what’s ahead, I start a new semester and the 2nd half of my junior year on January 12, 2010 (11 days after my 22nd birthday!). I will be starting out with “Reading Methods for Elementary Educators.” This will be an intense 4 week course on how to effectively and inclusively teach reading and language arts in grades K-8. I am both excited and already overwhelmed. After this course I will be taking Feminist Psychology, Authentic Assessment (ED course), and Human Rights Seminar. During the semester I will also be rehearsing for my Prescott College debut in the Vagina Monologues. I am very excited to get a chance to show off some theatre skills (teaching is, after all, only an act… or so I hear) and to be a part of such a great cause. I will be doing the “Angry Vagina” monologue for all of you who know a little bit about the Vagina Monologues. I also have applied for a job as a care provider for adults with profound disabilities. I will let you know what happens (soon hopefully!). I was also the recipient of a scholarship from the Yavapai County Education Foundation and will be spending it on two additional classes that are needed for my teacher certification. I won’t be taking these classes until mid-semester or summer so hopefully by then I will be well into the groove of schoolwork and not too overwhelmed. Lastly, I will be continuing my work with WEB (Women’s Empowerment Breakthrough). Coming up we have Lunafest, a film festival featuring all women directors and creators, Take Back the Night, a rally bringing awareness about Rape Culture and violence against women, The Vagina Monologues, surely I’ve talked about that enough already, and much more.
All this to say, I have had a truly blessed year and I am looking forward to all that comes next, both the known and unknown. I can’t express my gratitude enough for your presence, whether grand or small- you’re significant in my life… Thank you! I hope that you and yours have a wonderful, safe, and happy start to your new year. Keep in touch in 2010!
Love, peace, and empowerment

Popular Posts