Privilege Exercise

2nd post today, 40th ever...

This is a exercise we completed in Rethinking Our Classroom about privileges we see in our everyday lives. I have been noticing more since completing this. Here's my response:

While on Spring Break I became really ill and had to go to an Urgent Care facility. While I was there the staff mixed up some information on my insurance and would have denied me help had I not been able to pay for the bill that day. Because of the socio-economic status of my father I do not have to worry about receiving healthcare should I need it. I do not have to decide between other expenses such as rent, food, or the utility bill and my physical well being. This privilege was definitely eye-opening for me. I was surprised to find out how quickly you can spend money while at a doctor’s office. Just to be taken in I had to pay one hundred fifty dollars. This didn’t include any test(s), procedure(s), or medicine(s) I may have needed. They also attached a large red sign that stated in bold print, “Patient is a paying by cash,” so that the doctor informed me of any additional charges before continuing ahead in case I couldn’t pay. Had I not been assured that a parent would cover this and then figure out my insurance problem later I would have had to wait days or not seen a doctor at all.
Also while on Spring Break I was pulled over by a police officer for going over the speed limit. I was not questioned as to why I was out at such a late hour, where I was going, or where I had come from. Because I am a white, female my intentions are rarely questioned by police officers. The cop asked many friendly, small-talk questions but never accused or implied anything negative about me even though I couldn’t even prove the car belonged to me. I have heard horror stories from men and from those who don’t classify as “white” about interfaces with cops, but I have never experienced this. The entire time that I sat and waited for my ticket I contemplated the color of my skin and the fact that I was female.
On night, also during Spring Break, a few friends of mine and I went out to have a few drinks and dance. While out I met a nice man that I flirted and talked with for a long time. Because I am heterosexual no one even glances in my direction if I am obviously flirting with someone of the opposite sex. Though, if I had gone home with him I may have been labeled negative names I could openly flirt and dance with him without anyone saying anything.
In conjunction with this, because of my socio-economic status I can afford to go out with friends and spend expendable money on “having fun”. I can do this without having to worry about the impact it will have on my family or on my ability to take care of myself. I can even sometimes spend too much and ask for help from my family.
Lastly, at the end of my spring break I went to Tucson with my Expeditionary Learning class. We visited Border Patrol and saw the wall between the U.S. and Mexico border. While I was at Border Patrol I noticed that many of their off-road vehicles were unmarked and I learned that the agents are required to have only eleven weeks of Spanish language classes. Because I speak and read English and I am educated I can protect myself, know the legality of many situations that I may get in, and rarely live in fear of being taken advantage of. This as well as the insurance privilege listed above struck me as the most eye-opening. I can’t imagine not knowing what someone was saying to me, especially if their voice sounded angry or demanding and most especially if they were in charge of my well being. I would feel very inferior if I could not protect myself or my family from verbal assault or if I didn’t know whether or not what these people were doing was legal. It must be a very scary reality.

Popular Posts